Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Per Wikipedia, vegetarianism includes practicing intake of only plant-based diets, i.e., vegetables, fruits, etc., and abstaining from all kinds of meat, including dairy products or eggs even. It is a deliberate dietary religion that vegetarians follow, i.e., choosing not to eat meat or animal-derived products.

It can be quite controversial as many foods contain animal-derived ingredients which the end-user might not be aware of. Well, all in all, it is very, very difficult to be a complete vegetarian because one might end up eating a non-vegetarian product as an ingredient in any food, unknowingly. Till the time a strict vegetarian does not come to know about any such food product, he/she keeps on consuming it in daily routine, but the moment the reality comes out, the end-user becomes extra conscious about any such category of food. And, very rightly, it is about his/her conscience.

I, too, was a meat eater almost half a year ago, but suddenly something from inside happened and I gave up all the non-veg foods - meat, fish, seafood, anything else that is included in such category. Lastly, I even gave up on eggs lately. An unknown feeling from inside lead me to take this deliberate step, and now I am happy about the decision that I took. I can now say that I am a vegetarian, a complete vegetarian...right? No. Wrong.

This religion means a lot more to me than just changing dietary habits. I am not talking about being really strict vegetarian - not even consuming milk, sugar, a lot of such unknown products. It is just that you are abstaining to eat meat, eggs or any food of such category deliberately. Okay, you are not consuming any meat or any animal-derived products, but does this mean that you can call yourself a vegetarian? I guess not. One will have to go a little deeper and look for the cause for which this step has been taken. What made you a vegetarian? Ethics? Values? or similar such feelings?

For me, I know the answer. It is against my values to hurt any living being. Here, "hurt" too has a wider meaning. Hurting can be physical, emotional, or of any other type. So, I cannot completely adhere to this value as I might end up hurting anyone emotionally. But, to me, not eating any animal/meat is a big step towards adhering my values. I just cannot end up any life to please my tongue or to fill my tummy. If I eat meat, even if I haven't killed that animal, I take the blame on me, as I eat it. Ever seen a crying hen or a goat or any other animal who is about to be slaughtered? Ever seen a fish gasp for air? They cry for their life...and we end up eating them...appreciating cook's work. A small party at your home ultimately ends up a life of hen or a goat; worth it? No. I feel that one can enjoy without disturbing any other living being's life, be it a human or an animal.

Vegetarianism is much more to me; it is also abstaining from leather products, not hitting/beating/hurting any animal, and behaving good with all the living beings, especially animals...because they can't interact with you. You kick your pet, abuse it, and feel happy about it. Think same on you. If someone kicks you in your ribcage, abuses you and feels happy about it? How would you feel? What if you or any of your family member is chosen to be eaten by a stronger power...and you are left in the cage...waiting for your turn...living, but without life...waiting to be slaughtered.
I support this religion. Do you?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!