Thursday, October 10, 2013


A new camera was due for quite some time now! I already had a Canon A3100, but that seemed like a toy now. DSLR was not what I was looking for actually. I was looking for something that could be taken almost everywhere....even under water! I and my friend - Rohan - researched a lot, went through a lot of reviews, videos, etc. and finally zeroed down on Nikon's Coolpix AW110. Reviews were nice. Anyhow, I got the best deal - even better than what I could have had from the best online provider! Best of all, I got my favorite color - camouflage! Got great discounts and was happy about my new camera! Time was now to check the features out with my own hands.




I spent quite a lot of time the very first day, but couldn't get much out of it. I wanted to explore it, fully, and was waiting eagerly to use it in different settings. It took me a couple of days to get acquainted with the features of this gadget, though! Finally, I got a chance to use nearly all the features during my trip to Palampur, Himachal Pradesh! And now that I know the features, I am feeling happy to let you know the same!

First of all, let me tell you the 'special' features it has:

1. Waterproof, up to 60 feet!
2. Shockproof, from 6.6 feet (conditions apply)
3. Cold proof (can be frozen and brought back to life within seconds; saw it in a video review)
4. Built-in GPS - embeds the location within photograph automatically!
5. Built-in compass - lets you know the direction
6. Barometer - lets you know the instantaneous atmospheric pressure
7. Altimeter - lets you know the height from sea level (and depth in water)
8. Built-in world map - you'll never get lost now (updated 2012; can replace with updated file)
9. 3D photos - capture crisp, error-free 3-dimensional images
10. Slow Motion video capture
11. Selective color - amazing feature wherein you can select the color you want to see in the photo!
12. Panorama - Horizontal and vertical panorama modes; both 180- and 360-degrees!
13. One-press video-start button - Start recording videos instantly
15. Shake to browse - Just shake the camera to browse through photos or menu!
16. Wi-Fi - Built-in wi-fi for tranferring stuff from camera to smartphone instantly
17. Click photos remotely via free software using wi-fi - excellent feature - you can click photos remotely via your cellphone while seeing the view from camera's lens. Absolutely amazing technology, I would say!
18. Lot of special modes!

Anyhow...I guess I have mentioned a lot of features. Well, I don't think that I would get so many features in any other camera! It's worth the money!

Let's get on with the story of my AW110. I was firstly hesitant to put it under water, but eventually when I immersed it under water, boy oh boy, I felt overwhelmed! I finally have a camera that I can use fearlessly...anywhere!

There is a story behind it actually. Once my friends wanted me to carry my cellphone (that has a nice camera) to a place where we had flowing water (I declined); and I usually slip at such places, and I slipped the very day. Had I taken my smartphone along that day, I would have lost it actually, in water! But now, I ain't afraid of taking my special device in water! I couldn't have chosen for any better product!

The camera shows a lot of things on its screen (as mentioned above) - direction, atmospheric pressure, altitude from sea level, location, etc.

Here are a few photos that I clicked using my Nikon Coolpix AW110!

This one is a 3D image!


Selective color mode - blue!


Original color of the toy!



Macro shot!


 Panorama!



And....this is one of the snapshots taken from video that I shot under water! Believe me, it has an amazing clarity under water. Thumbs up!




All in all, I would say it's a great camera with great features. Highly recommended. I wanted this camera and I have it now. Hope this small hands-on review of Nikon Coolpix AW110 helped you. Now, hopefully, my next camera would be a DSLR - a Nikon D3200 - in Red! Hope I get a great deal, again!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!