Thursday, June 5, 2014

Today is my eighth anniversary of living away from home. Things have changed a lot. Life is moving on and on with ups and downs. 
Away From Home
I belong to Chandigarh and I have been living in Gurgaon for the past 8 years. Yesterday, my manager gave me good news; my company is sending me to UK on a 4-year project. I am going there as one of the leads in a new project. I am really happy about my promotion, a trip to UK, earning in pounds….what else a Punjabi dreams of?
I called up my mom after that news from my manager, she sounded really happy and so did my father. I caught a bus in the evening and reached home around 1:30 am. Despite several requests, the happiness of their son coming home did not let them sleep. When I reached home, my dad already slept with his head down on dining table and my mom was continuously staring at the entrance door. She hugged me and did not leave for 2-3 minutes and cried and my dad gave me numerous blessings. Being the only child, all their love for me reaches me in un-measureable quantity. When I see that, even I can’t resist myself from crying.

At 2:30 in the morning she served fresh and warm dinner, with my all time favourite sweet dishes. Though we talk everyday over the phone, but we still had so much to talk. It’s 3:18 by my watch and I am tired, sleepy but still unable to sleep. Though my parents never showed me, but I could sense their feelings. I come home once a month now, and once I leave this time, I will be coming home after half my project is complete, may be more than 2 years from now. 

All my cousins are busy in their own life. We catch up on occasions, only when I am home. So, who will take care of my parents while I am away? I love doing everything for them without a second thought. Sometimes, I feel living away from everyone is not a good idea. My grandfather used to say – “Distances bring differences, and also you know people only when visits happen from both the ends.” It’s very much true and has been happening with me. 

Staying away is always fun until everything goes smooth and no one gets hurt. So many events have passed when my parents wanted me to be with them and there might be so many like those which are about to come. Punjabi's don’t take tension, no regrets. Live life king size is what I say to all my friends!

It’s 4:15 am. I am guilty for the times I haven’t been with them in past, but once I am back I will find a good job and settle in my hometown forever and keep them happy. It is really hard to prioritize at this point. If you ask me how I feel about the time I have been away from home and how is life now, I would say I have gained on professional front but I have lost a lot on my personal life. All I can say is that this is life boss! Most of childhood friends got married and are not in touch with me anymore. Time has changed everything – priorities too. Once again I, think it will be hard for my parents to manage but it will be good for my career, and when I return with much more money in my account, everything will be covered up. 

I love my family! Will miss you a lot! Good night.

It's 5:00 am. Good night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!